Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Things I've Googled Lately

Sometimes I have morbid thoughts. Off and on over the years I've thought to myself, "If I disappeared today, and someone got onto my phone/computer and looked through my Google history...how utterly mortified would I be?"

I mean, obviously I'd be missing, potentially kidnapped, and I'd rather the police be thorough and search every possible avenue for clues to my disappearance, but I digress.

So, I looked through my Google history, and I realized that while I don't really have many 'embarrassing' searches, I do have some kind of random ones that would probably raise an eyebrow or two. I thought I would take this opportunity to share some of them and also explain myself.

At least that way if something happens to me and someone looks through my search history, they can also read this blog for my justifications as well.

Can you substitute baking soda for baking powder?

I bake a lot and I've learned how to tweak just about any recipe, but I really had no idea if I could do this or not. I ran out of baking powder when I was wanting to make a waffle for dinner, but I have a huge box of baking soda so I really wanted to know what would happen if I just swapped it out. Apparently you can substitute, but you also need to increase the acidity in order for baking soda to work. So, if you mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda, you have homemade baking powder.

Can I mail food through the post office?

Obviously I know that you can mail nonperishable storebought food, but I was specifically trying to find out if I could mail homemade candy through the mail. Then I realized that people mail homemade cookies and jam and such, so that's where my Googling ended.

How do you delete fake followers on Instagram?

I recently decided to go ahead and make my Instagram public, but I wanted to know if there was a way to delete followers just in case. My search led me into learning that you can't delete fake followers, but you can block them, and then they'll disappear from your followers list. Perfect.

What do blocked Instagram followers see?

I wanted to know just in case I want to block someone someday who isn't a fake follower. Just being proactive, here.

Hard reset Garmin Vivoactive HR

Self-explanatory: I needed to know how to hard reset my Garmin sport watch. It locked up and none of the buttons nor the touchscreen were working. I got it fixed, in case you were wondering.

Flower tattoo Scandinavian cat black and white

Sometimes I just throw all the descriptive words I can think of into the Google photo search bar, and this was one of those times. I'm sure you can figure out what type of photos I was looking for - I need new ink!

Under the Dome cancelled?

I'd been waiting and waiting for the 4th season of Under the Dome on Amazon Prime, and then Isaiah told me the show was cancelled. I could not recollect that fact, so I turned to Google to find out 1) if he was lying to me (he wasn't) and 2) why it was cancelled (the show totally jumped the shark, which I already knew, and they lost a lot of viewers).

Ladies hands up let me see you shake your stuff

I was looking for song lyrics, I promise. There's this song I used to jam out to in my car when I was in college and I couldn't for the life of me remember the rest of the lyrics or the singer, so that's what I had to work with. It ended up being "Ladies" by Sarai. I cannot remember why I ever liked her, other than that one song is a smidge catchy. This was, however, the first time I'd ever watched the video. If I didn't know better I would think it was a parody.

What is zentangle?

This. This is zentangle. I get it and I don't.

Cable front vs cable back

I'm trying to teach myself cable knitting and I wasn't sure what the difference was.

Hannibal pig guy

Trying to remember who one of the characters was since it had been so long since we watched Season 2. Just finished Season 3, the last season...they ended it decently, I think.

John Daly drink

We were out to eat the other night at a restaurant WITH A FULL BAR (all caps because I am incensed) and they told me they "cannot make a Long Island Iced Tea but we can make you a John Daly - it's similar!" First of all, when you have a FULL BAR, how do you not have the ability to make a Long Island? Second of all, a John Daly tastes nothing like a Long Island, which is why I ended up Googling it to figure out what exactly was in it. For the record, it's lemonade, iced tea, and a little bit of vodka. Basically an Arnold Palmer with a tiny splash of booze. Not even close, dude. I'm still irrationally upset about this because THEY HAVE A FULL BAR.

Meme little girl shrug

I was trying to convince Isaiah that we could kidnap a few of the kittens from the animal shelter before their new owners come to claim them and when the animal control officer asks if we know where they went, we could make that face. He hadn't seen the meme so I had to find it. I still think it would work.

"Isaiah, Angi...do you know where those two kittens went?"




I guess that's about it for my interesting Google searches lately. Not too bad I guess, if the extent of the excitement is "Hannibal pig guy" and a super-white girl "rapper".

6 comments:

  1. THIS is something I should try!

    I specifically remember having the conversation with you about the canceling of Under the Dome. I still think about that show. I still remember Scott making fun of me for liking it.
    Maybe I should rewatch it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this is awesome. I've googled the baking soda vs. baking powder question myself a time or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love this! Props for learning cable knitting...that's actually something I know how to do. But it's been a few years. How in the crap were they not able to make a Long Island Iced Tea? That doesn't even make sense. James was so mad about Under the Dome and how crazy the show got. I watched three episodes so I have nothing to contribute to that conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm a hypochondriac, and I recently Googled "what are the signs of mouth cancer." SO MORBID. But my tongue has been hurting, and like I said, I have issues. Your searches are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and I forgot to ask: what DO blocked followers see on Instagram???

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watched Under the Dome while we were in China until it got too confusing and/or we just forgot about it. There were kind of limited options for television entertainment there, haha! I've head that trick about baking soda/baking powder before but I've never actually had cream of tartar in my cupboards so...didn't find it very helpful

    ReplyDelete