Thursday, August 11, 2016

Baking with Protein Powder: Waffles

In thinking about what I might want to write about now that I've made my triumphant return to blogging, I remembered that I used to really enjoy doing a once-a-week random thoughts post. It seems like most people like to do "Thursday Thoughts," but as much as I love a good alliteration, I love to buck popular blogger trends even more. I mean, I have never once bought a single chevron-patterned item or done a twenty-part series on my wedding and honeymoon, so you know I'm serious.

I haven't decided what day of the week I'm going to dedicate to this brain-dump, but in the meantime, I thought I'd throw a quick recipe your way. I recently discovered this and I've already made it twice in the last week, because when a waffle recipe only has 2 grams of carbs, YOU EAT ALL THE WAFFLES.

I've used protein powders to supplement my diet for a few years now, but only recently have I gotten into using it as an actual ingredient in a recipe, rather than just shaking it up with almond milk or tossing it in a smoothie. I've also been making protein angel food cake, but I'll do a separate blog post about that, because it deserves an appropriate amount of attention on its own.

For the waffles, and baking in general, whey protein is the best to use due to the texture and taste. This one is my current favorite - seriously, try the snickerdoodle flavor. I'm sure you could probably use soy, hemp or pea protein, but I haven't tested those to know if they'd be any good.

Anyway, all you have to do is mix:

1 scoop (31g) PEScience whey protein
1 egg white
1 t. baking powder
splash of vanilla extract
1/8-1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk 
(add liquid slowly until batter is the right consistency)

A few minutes later, you'll have the most delicious, golden, crispy waffle with - get this - only 143 calories, 2g carbs, 2g fat, and 28 grams of protein. That's a crazy good carb to protein ratio, and this way you don't even have to feel bad about adding butter and syrup, or whipped cream and berries, or whatever toppings you prefer on your waffle.

Note: You can also use a whole egg instead of the egg white, which will make the waffle a little bit fluffier, but keep in mind that will increase the calories and fat content a bit (7g fat and closer to 180 calories). I have tried these both ways, and I prefer just the egg white - they seem to turn out just a little bit more crisp.

Let me know if you make these, and if you do, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They're probably not going to taste exactly the same as if you ate a carb and fat-laden "real" waffle, but they're a dang good substitute and if they weren't good, I wouldn't tell you to make them.

But I am telling you to make them. Now. Seriously. Scram.

3 comments:

  1. Can I do this as a pancake? No waffle iron here. I'll be making them pretty much immediately.

    I also own no chevron...I think I have one shirt? Or had. I don't remember. And I have a blanket, but that was a gift.
    And no 20-part wedding series on my blog. I pride myself on being...different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did you stop being a vegan? I'm so clearly behind the times.

    I'm sure it's delicious, but I can't wrap my head around it. I've never had a really good protein powder that I'd actually want to taste a lot of. But I do love me some waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had protein powder I would be all over this. Someday I'll buy some again.

    The only reason I wrote about my wedding/honeymoon is because both were slightly disastrous. I feel like that's bucking blogger trends :)

    ReplyDelete