Thursday, September 22, 2016

Stuff and Things: The Third One


+ We went camping glamping at a cabin last Sunday evening. In the past, I've always dragged my feet at the idea of staying a night in this particular cabin - not because I'm opposed to camping or sleeping other places than my own bed, but because we live less than five minutes away from the campground where the cabin is situated. It just always seemed like a weird idea, to go sleep on an uncomfortable wooden bunk with no electricity in a place within walking distance from our nice comfortable king sized bed and Netflix. I've always believed that if I'm going to camp, it's going to be because that's the only option. 

But it was ridiculously fun. There's a wood stove inside, a fire pit outside (which we didn't use because it was raining, whomp whomp), and it's within eyesight of the river where the salmon are currently running. They're also dying and generating an absolutely lovely smell, but that's the ciiiiircle of liiiiife. We went to the gun range on the other side of the campground and practiced shooting, we played cards, cooked sausages in the fire, made Oreo s'mores, and read by the light of our headlamps until we fell asleep. I even walked to the bathroom in the pitch black despite my bear-phobia! It helped that Isaiah stood guard with a shotgun, but still. Proud moment.

The moral of the story is: Even if it's a bit of a hassle to pack up your car and drive to a cabin within walking distance, do it. There's nothing quite like being in the woods and out of cell phone range once in a while.





+ Every day lately, right around noon, my office at work floods with the smell of gasoline and oil, presumably from the gas station next door. It's AWFUL, it gives me almost an instant headache and makes me want to vomit, and I don't know what to do about it. I don't even open my window anymore, and my office still reeks. I almost had to leave work yesterday, it was so bad.

+ Words cannot express how little I care about Brad and Angelina's apparent split. And by "how little I care" I mean I don't care at all and I don't know why anyone cares, honestly. It's Hollywood, where marriages last approximately 4.6 seconds on average and cheating is just what you do because fame and fortune means you don't actually have to have morals or standards.

I got a new tattoo this week! You might think I'm a little ridiculous, but I love it. Cat lady street cred, level up.


Two notes: One, it's in the healing stage right now, which is why it looks a little rough. I forgot to take a picture right after I got it done when it looked the best.
Two, do you know how hard it is to get a picture of your inner upper arm? Real hard.


+ It's the first day of fall, if you haven't been made aware by the approximately 439,826 memes circulating the internets today. In my town, it's 53 degrees, pouring rain and the wind is gusting. In other words, it looks and feels exactly the same as mid-July. This is why I can't relate to all the excitement around the "changing of the seasons." Just give me Christmas already.

Linking up with Kristin and Joey for Stuff and Things!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend getaway...it's nice to go off the grid sometimes, even if it's close to home! Kudos on walking to the bathroom, by the way. I don't know if I would have been able to overcome bear-phobia.

    Your tattoo is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dead fish. Don't ask me why, but spawning season is my salmon jam! I also love that little cabin. So much reading and yarning and bonding! (I imagine)

    I was sad when I heard about Brad and Angelina. Not because I care what famous people do, but because marriages keep falling apart and they have six kids and why couldn't they just work it out? Marriages should be like salmon and last until they die and their corpses are eaten by bears. Hashtag relationship goals.

    I love the tattoo. If I really liked cats and wanted to get inked I would consider one just like that. I hope when you flex it flexes, too. Please say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm considering moving into the mountains. I swear we're never going to dip below 80 degrees (for more than a day at once) again. My classroom is so hot that I can't even wear pants to school. This is a real problem I have, and I don't even know if it'd be a 1st-world one.
    I always feel good AFTER camping. Or AFTER hunting. Or AFTER being outside for an extended period of time.
    That cabin is super cute though.
    I'll be Team Jen for life, but for us to assume she even cares is ridiculous. I think she's gotten the better lot in life, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the tattoo. The idea of camping nearby sounds quite fun, I would be willing to try it. I think we have a couple of state parks within an hour's drive that allow camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Basically this whole post made me laugh. I can't even leave a good comment about anything specific. Just, lol. Cat lady street cred. BUT IT'S FALL, YOU SAY???? I think there's some kind of fall drink that we should buy. Maybe... Pumpkin... Pumpkin spiced something? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that cabin?! It looks like a great time to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast!! Sorry to reply here...I didn't get an email with your comment for some reason!

      Delete
  7. Your tattoo is pretty amazing. I'm not a cat person, but that floral cat is awesome!

    That cabin sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to get away to a cabin in the woods! Also, is it terrible that I've never seen salmon in a river? I must be a terrible northwesterner.

    Also, glad to see you back blogging! I know I'm late to this. Someday I'll come back...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure ain't fall here!
    I'm not sure I want to actually go away anywhere for our anniversary this year, but then I'm thinking maybe it would be fun to go to a cool hotel on our own island...which feels kind of ridiculous because if we're going to be on this island we have our own apartment to sleep in...but there really are some cool hotels here and it would feel more anniversary-like...I'm still debating...

    ReplyDelete