Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Bears: Thug Life in the 907


So, I didn't expect to have writer's block so soon. I guess most of the time I just feel like I don't have much to write about. I wake up, shower, go to work, go home, either hang out with my husband or if he's working (most of the time), do some chores/cook food/crochet/Netflix, then go to bed. I eat sometimes, too. Wash, rinse, repeat. I guess I could start doing weekend recaps but nobody really likes to read those, including myself.

Isaiah's going back to night shifts tonight, which always sucks. He was supposed to finally have his turn to work weekdays/day shift and have weekends off (something that hasn't happened since last fall sometime) but due to never-ending staffing issues, he had to go back to night shifts. He technically has weekends off, but since he'll be working Friday nights, he'll have to sleep most of the day on Saturdays. So we really only get Sundays off together. I guess one day a week is better than zero days off together for months at a time, like we've dealt with in the past.

I finally got my Etsy shop back up and running. I know, so cliche. I was mostly ready, I just needed some decent daylight hours to take some pictures. Photos aren't easy when your house gets almost zero natural sunlight. We have about one hour every afternoon where the sun comes in one of our living room windows, but our house is situated on a hill directly above another house, and the neighbors' roof is blue metal. So, every picture I try to take ends up with a dark blue tint, which is super fun to try and edit later. God bless Photoshop, but my pictures will probably always be subpar until we move someday.

Work is work is work. I really have nothing to say about it at this point, other than Halloween and Christmas are coming up which means boxes upon boxes of decorations from the 1990s will be pulled out and vomited up all over the office. Always a treat.

Since August 7th, there have been 5 bear attacks in the vicinity. None within town limits, thankfully, although I'm just waiting for that to happen as there have been multiple reports this last week or two of bears in people's yards, breaking into cars and chicken coops, hanging out on porches, and charging bicyclists alongside the road next to one of our parks. I don't know why people even go outside this time of year. I will say, though, as terrified as I am of bears (they're literally the only thing that gives me nightmares), I had to laugh at this. Sounds like straight up bear thuggery and vandalism to me.



11 comments:

  1. I feel your frustration with the schedules. I used to work overnight. Now I have a Monday-through-Friday schedule, but his is still irregular. I wouldn't mind night shifts so much if we both did them, but they can be awkward when only one person does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know what it's like when a husband works night shift! Now there's no more danger of that (no teaching sessions in the middle of the night...), but with him teaching adults, his prime-time teaching hours are nights and weekends, the normal non-working hours, because that's when the students want to schedule classes. It works out that Friday afternoons are our big time off together every week, and I look forward to it!

    And those crazy bears!! Why'd they have to mess up some people's bikes just for the fun of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I saw a bear on my porch, I would lock myself in the closet and never come out. If a bear ruined my bike, I would still lock myself in the closet and never come out. I don't know how you go outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle has been working 18 days for the last 2 weeks and it gets exhausting and he still has a few more weeks to go of it. I am ready to see him at a normal time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I am so sorry! It truly is exhausting and I can't imagine how much moreso with a newborn!

      Delete
  5. BEARS. Freaky.

    Maybe you should invest in a super bright light for you pictures? I'm not helpful.

    Enjoy your Sundays together! That's such a bummer to only have one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would absolutely be afraid to go outside! What kind of thug bear just goes around wrecking bikes?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously loathe weekend recaps, and I don't use that word often, but I find them so boring. That probably makes me sound like a jerk but it's just how I feel. One day off is better than zero but still it isn't ideal. I hope you get to enjoy the time you do have :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.s. I just checked out your Etsy shop. SO CUTE! You are a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wondered what it would be like to live in Alaska. I can't fathom the constant darkness/near darkness like you described. The experiences with bears must be wild!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wish he could work a normal schedule!
    It's tough you don't actually know when it'll get better too.

    Work is work. I agree.

    My routine is a lot like yours. It's very much the same each day and kind of boring. I realized yesterday that I have no social life to speak of just because I'm so swamped with maintaining the house and work. And dogs, of course.

    ReplyDelete