Friday, September 16, 2016

Life Lately #1

Reading: The Bassoon King by Rainn Wilson. I have to be honest, it's a little "meh" so far. I've absolutely loved reading his depiction of growing up in Seattle, but once he moves to the east coast for acting school, there's a lot of name-dropping and talking about his bohemian lifestyle/Baha'i faith, which I can't really relate to at all. I'm about halfway done and hopefully he starts talking about The Office soon, because truthfully it's the real reason I picked it up in the first place.

Watching: All the Netflix! 'Tis the season for The Walking Dead, The Blacklist, Blue Bloods and Grimm.

Listening to: The new Leagues album on Spotify. It's okay.

Wearing: All camo, all the time. I don't know what's gotten into me but in the last 3 months I've bought a camo t-shirt, a pullover, and a zip-up hoodie. I tried to find a camo jacket during our recent Anchorage trip but came up short (what are malls even good for anymore?). Instead, I settled for a plain olive green anorak-style jacket from PacSun, which is a great store to go into if you want to relive your high school years.

Short person/tall bathroom mirror problems.
Also, don't judge me for the painting - judge whoever decorated my workplace.

Smelling: Nothing, because I've had a cold for a full week now. There was a small electrical fire in the medical office upstairs this morning, and apparently everyone can smell the lingering smoke smell except for me.

Eating: A chocolate/macadamia cluster that my boss just gave me as a "stress reliever" (her words) after the fire this morning. I wasn't stressed but who am I to turn down free chocolate?

Loving: Iced coffee. It doesn't have to be July and 90 degrees outside, I'll drink the iced stuff year-round. I drink it cold more often than I drink it hot. Lately I've been wishing I could just mainline it because the days are getting darker and I'm just so. dang. tired. all. the. time.

Can I get an I.V. of this?

Hating: Razors that are too dull to use after only two weeks. With all the scientific advancements these days, can't someone invent a never-goes-dull razor? I'd pay good money for that.

Annoyed with: Companies who don't offer shipping options. Dear Forever 21: You can take the $10.90 you want to charge me to ship two $3.90 pairs of earrings and shove it up your butt.

LOL no.


Creating: New things for Etsy! My goal is to reopen my shop on October 1st with some new and revamped items.

Wanting: A new duvet cover/sheets and to redecorate our upstairs bathroom. Is this what GoFundMe accounts are for?

Laughing at: The police blotter, always and forever the police blotter. It's not quite as amusing now that Isaiah has the inside scoop to most of the stories and they're usually not as funny as you'd think, but I still get a kick out of them. Most recently, a man called to report himself for accidentally passing a school bus with its red lights flashing. Apparently he felt really bad about it.

Feeling: If I'm being honest, a little bit frustrated that since my return to blogging, I can't seem to find any good new blogs to read that aren't all about babies/kids. I love my mom-friends but when you don't have children and everyone's blogging about diapers and breastfeeding and toddler antics, you just feel really left out. There's only so much I can comment on when I literally cannot relate to a single second of someone else's parenting adventures.

Hoping: That I'll get into an autumn mood soon. I want to be excited about pumpkins and candles and scarves. I really do. My heart just isn't in it yet.

Thinking: It's time to start thinking about what to get people for Christmas. It's never too early to start thinking about that, right?

Wishing: That my full-time job(s) could just be baking and crocheting. I know there are ways to turn your hobbies into your job, but finding a way to do that while living in a ridiculously expensive island town is harder than it sounds. I waitressed all through college and I used to dream of the day I could have a desk job with my own computer and shop for office decorations instead of non-slip black shoes and polo shirts but now I'm over it.

Anticipating: Camping this weekend! We live about 5 minutes away from a campground but have never really made it a point to go stay there for a night. There's a cabin there that we've rented for Sunday/Monday and I'm going to be spending the whole time trying not think about the fact that it's right next to a river, it's salmon spawning season, and the bears are out in full force.

8 comments:

  1. Reading about his experience on The Office would be the main reason I would pick up a book by Rainn Wilson also.

    It's never too early to start planning Christmas gifts. By the time December rolls around I'm scrambling and wishing I would have started months earlier.

    I love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I only camped in Alaska once, but it was in a tent, so it probably counts double.
    Join the Pumpkin Swap! It'll get you in a fall mood, though you'll have snow by then. Ugh.
    I read the same 8-10 blogs that I've read for years now.
    I want a new bedspread set too...I really can't find one I love though. Where are you looking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love iced coffee, and I drink it year round too! So much better than hot coffee! Blue Bloods is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen The Blacklist or Blue Bloods but maybe I should try them. I doubt they're on Canadian Netflix, though. I already love TWD and watch Grimm, although I have to say the most recent season had me fast forwarding through some boring parts.

    I haven't heard the new Leagues album yet. I liked the last one enough, but didn't love it.

    Every time I have an ice coffee in the spring I wonder why I don't drink it all year round. It's heaven. Except right now my body thinks it's vile and I really miss it.

    I'm excited about your shop.

    I can't believe you didn't comment with your relatable experiences on my breastfeeding post. I thought we were friends.

    Dream job: stay at home me. To knit and do hobbies all day long? Yes, please.

    I love the salmon run back home. We don't have to worry about bears so much, but it's one of my favourite things. Your weekend sounds divine. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about the new Leagues album! I can't wait to see what's in your shop. The other day I made Gracie try on the hats you made her and they still fit! I'm so glad. Even as a mom I get tired of reading about babies and kids. Good blogs are hard to find. You know what annoy me? The monthly baby posts. I really don't care what your baby's current favorite food is and their milestones. I'm the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mostly just wish there were more funny blogs around, even if they had kids, I just want more real life humor in blogging--sometimes kids are even helpful where that's concerned. haha!
    And I have a pretty strong conscience but I don't think even I would report myself to the police for a driving violation...
    I have no idea what to get anybody for Christmas. As my normal minimalist self, I've gotten my little sisters 'experience' gifts since moving here, even though they are not minimalists and really like stuff. Brainwashing, you know. Last Christmas, we took them to a waterpark. For their birthdays, we took them to Disney on Ice. And now I'm blanking on what would be fun this Christmas? Pedicures and a tea party? But one of the teenagers hates any physical contact so that might be more like torture than a present...which also might be funny...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does seem like a lot of blogs are about babies and kids. Guilty. And totally understandable that people aren't into that all the time. I try to mix it up so I'm not obnoxiously baby crazy, but the darn little people are so cute I can't help it sometimes. In other news, I LOVE CAMPING SO MUCH. I have such fond childhood memories of camping. We would go all the time and it was the best. We don't have any camping gear, but our friends are getting a divorce and selling stuff, etc., and I asked Jordan if it would be rude of us to ask them if we could buy their camping stuff off them. Too soon? Probably. We're awful people. DON'T JUDGE US.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when blogs become all about babies. If your idea of happiness involves children, I am happy for you to reach your goal (my husband and I don't wish to have children; we might mentor teens sometime), but it makes me sad when the blogger has no personality outside of parenting anymore. And when the blogger apparently forgets that her husband exists, unless it's time for a photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete