Thursday, September 8, 2016

Stuff and Things: The First One

Anchorage last weekend was fantastic! It was nice to just get out of town for a few days. If you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere or on an island or both (like me) you know how important it is just to get away for a break sometimes. Trip highlights: Hiking Mt. Eklutna, the Alaska State Fair, test driving potential new vehicles to replace our Jeep with 215K miles on it, and allllllll the shopping. We crammed both the hike and the fair into the first day we were there (after getting up at 3AM to catch our flight), and I'm glad we did - it was 70 degrees and partly sunny. The rest of the trip? Almost constant rain. Figures.


The view from the top of Mt. Eklutna, Anchorage


3 hours, 40 minutes // 6.27 miles // 2933 feet of elevation gain // 4100' summit


If we look tired, it's because we were.


I was unimpressed with Target, however. They were out of so many things! They only had XL/XXL in most of the clothes we liked, their shoe selection was abysmal, and every toiletry/beauty item I wanted to buy, that's the one they didn't have restocked. I don't know if this is just an Alaska thing or not, but we encounter the same problem in Sitka constantly.

+ The iPhone 7 was announced yesterday. Color me unimpressed. "Fastest yet!" "Best battery life yet!" "Best camera yet!" Um, it better be, considering it's a brand new iPhone. Also, they did get rid of the headphone jack. At least they're including a lightning port adapter in the box so those of us who live in the Stone Age can still use our regular headphones.

Also, they're releasing wireless earbuds called AirPods (ha ha ha) that will cost $159. I was following the #AppleEvent hashtag on Twitter and dying of laughter at some of the things people were Tweeting.



I would also like to know why, with all this wireless technology they're bragging about, they still couldn't figure out how to make a wireless charger. I think people would rather have that than Apple brand wireless earphones (which aren't exactly innovative, you know?).

+ I still have not gotten my Etsy shop back up and running! Our house is basically a cave and so I have to wait for just the right amount of light to take photos, otherwise everything looks like garbage. My goal is to have it reopened by October 1st. That gives me a little over three weeks to finish making some new stuff and take pictures/write descriptions of everything. I did make a new shop banner, though. Progress.

+ I have to share something. While we were in Anchorage, Isaiah and I went to Cabelas and bought a new Glock 43/9 mm compact handgun. Currently, he's carrying it as his new off-duty firearm until he orders one for himself, but then it'll be my new concealed carry weapon. The only reason I'm sharing this is because I'm a firm believer in complete and total Second Amendment rights, and I can't help but feel a sense of American pride when I look at our growing collection. It's really nice to know that we don't have to rely on anybody but ourselves to protect our home and family (and maybe others someday, who knows).



Linking up with Kristin and Joey for Stuff & Things!

7 comments:

  1. My husband holds your same belief in the Second Amendment ;) That's Oklahoma for you. I once had a coworker who was all upset because she saw a guy carrying in a restaurant, and I was like, Um, if that offends you then Oklahoma is not the right state to live in. ha! Sorry Target was a bust, but hello beautiful views! And why get rid of the headphone jack, Apple??? That just seems rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys definitely took the long weekend seriously! I, on the other hand, had a couple of naps, I think. You're a hiking machine, but the most impressive part of it all is that your hair still looks really good. When I wake up at 3 my ponytail can't even keep itself together throughout the day. Hair envy, over here.

    At first I was very confused as to how you would fly back to Sitka with a weapon, but then I realized checked luggage is a thing. The most dangerous things I fly with are dry shampoo and baby food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our island is approx. 10 miles by 10 miles in size....usually, I'm more of a homebody, but in the last year, I've had the urge to get away WAY more often, and I think it's just because of how small this place is. Plus, even if you do get to the mainland, all there is is palm plantations for an hour or so...
    Everyone in my family in the USA owns guns--most of them are deer hunters, my uncle shoots competitively and built his own gun range on his property. So over here in Asia when people ask me in wide-eyed wonder "Does EVERYONE in America own a gun?" I have to remember that my family does not actually represent America...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a pistol with us most of the time when we were in Alaska. We didn't have a permit in Missouri so we got out of the habit.
    I'm annoyed about the no headphone jack. Why make life more complicated...
    Also, that's disappointing about Target. Did you also try the one in Wasilla? That was always my *favorite* but it's out of the way if you're in Anchorage.
    Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it helps, I have the same problem with Target here. At least with clothing sizes. They only ever seem to have XL/XXL. Drives me crazy! They actually had a few things in my size a few weeks ago, so I grabbed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard the news about Apple and I'm kind of surprised they're making a change so many people don't like! I switched to an Android in the fall and I love it. Beautiful scenery pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from the link-up! I have to say, the reason I'm excited for the iPhone 7 is because I'm holding out hope that it will drop prices of the 6, and then I can finally get one of those. haha :)

    ReplyDelete