Monday, December 19, 2016

This Eggo is Preggo.

Note: That right there is the ONLY time it is acceptable to use the word "preggo" to describe a pregnant woman.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I thought I should pop back in and update anyone who wants to know more about my last post!

Yes, I am actually pregnant, the last post was not a hoax. I'm a little over 13 weeks along (second trimester, holla!), with a due date of either June 24th or June 18th depending if you ask me or my baby doctor.  According to the ultrasound tech at my dating scan, which they did at 11 weeks, the baby was measuring almost a full week further along. I know my body, however, and I know that's not really likely. So, I'm still telling people I'm due June 24th. If the kid wants to come a week early, fine by me...but then, Isaiah is hoping for a July 4th baby. I told him please do not pray for that to happen.

No, this is not in any way, shape or form a surprise. The only surprise was that we were finally freaking pregnant after trying for a full year. I've always felt sympathetic toward people with infertility issues, but now I can empathize, at least a little, with how it feels when everyone and their sister/cousin/best friend/grandmother is announcing their pregnancy and you're still seeing month after month after month of zero results. It's like no other disappointment or feeling in the world and my heart and prayers go out to anyone who is publicly or privately struggling. It's no fun.

Yes, I had "morning" sickness (a.k.a. all day long sickness) from weeks 6-12 but no, I've never thrown up, praise be to God. I asked my mom, and she said she had the same thing happen with both me and my sister, so I guess some things really are hereditary. She also told me she got a lot of stretch marks, so apparently I have that to look forward to as well. I still feel sick if I don't eat a snack right before I go to bed and drink a glass of orange juice right after I wake up so my blood sugar doesn't crash through the floor, but it's far more manageable than it was for those awful six weeks. Being nauseated from the minute you wake up to the minute you go to bed for a month and a half is just exhausting. But trust me - I am very much counting my blessings that it was only six weeks, and I have a newfound respect for women who spend weeks and weeks and weeks (or months and months and months) throwing up before they feel better.

No, I have not been an emotional, crying/raging wreck. That's actually one of several things I've been expecting to happen that just...haven't. I do occasionally tear up at things I normally wouldn't, like when Beth dies in Little Women or when I ruined a batch of pancakes or when Isaiah has to work a ton of overtime, but I'm usually laughing about it two minutes later. I haven't been overly irritable, either, though maybe ask my husband for the final word on that one. All the stories of pregnant women who scream at strangers for looking at them funny or bawl at puppy commercials...that just hasn't been me.

Yes, I was completely and utterly exhausted for weeks on end. When planning to get pregnant, I had all these grand ideas of how I was going to eat only super healthy food and how I was going to work out for at least an hour every day no matter how tired I was. Ha. Ha ha ha. We found out I was pregnant when I was only 4 1/2 weeks along, so for the glorious week and a half before the sickness hit, I WAS actually eating super healthy and using the treadmill almost every night after work. Then I started feeling like death warmed over, I could barely keep my eyes open past 1:00 in the afternoon (God bless the doctor who told me up to 200mg of caffeine a day was totally fine if I needed it), and the only food I could even think about without wanting to throw up was carbs, carbs, and more carbs. I think I've eaten more bagels in the last few months than I have my entire life combined. Now that I'm feeling somewhat normal again, I'm back to eating a LOT better and exercising, and I'm so thankful to be back into my semi-normal routine. Selfishly, I'm trying to make it easier on myself to get back in shape after the baby is born. Un-selfishly, I'd like to have as healthy a baby as possible and hopefully an easier labor and delivery as well.

Yes, we plan on finding out the sex of the baby. I won't be 20 weeks along until early February, but we do plan on finding out when we get the anatomy scan done. If you know me, you know that I'm a major planner and there is absolutely no way on God's green earth I would enjoy keeping it a surprise. I will definitely let you know what we're having after we find out, but I probably will keep the name to myself until the baby is born. We've already been told not to "name the baby anything weird," so...

No, this is not going to turn into a strictly mommy blog. There will be no weekly "bumpdates" around these parts, I will not be comparing our baby's size to produce, and sonogram photos are staying right where they're supposed to - taped to my own refrigerator.

So there you have it, folks. That's what's been going on in my world lately. It's been so hard to think of things to blog about without accidentally giving away the secret, but hopefully things will pick back up now that I don't have to watch every word I type to make sure it doesn't drop too heavy a hint. I mean, even my "Life Lately" posts have been hard. Here's what they would have looked like had I been completely, 100% spur-of-the-moment honest with my answers:

Reading: Books about sleep training and breastfeeding.
Wearing: Any shirt that doesn't touch my neck because anything touching my neck makes me gag.
Eating: Bagels, orange juice, bagels, saltine crackers, and also bagels.
Smelling: Everything under the gosh darn sun and then some.

You get the picture.

Speaking of pictures, no baby bump pictures yet. I'll think about posting one when it looks like I'm having a baby and not a giant bagel.


6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it took you a while to get pregnant. It took about 2 years with R, and we ended up going to a fertility dr so I know how it feels. It's very hard. But yay for June babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird to say I can't wait until you start showing? Because it's so exciting. You will need to post some pictures. I demand that you also hold up a piece of produce to use a size reference ;)

    I'm glad you haven't been super emotional. I didn't think I was either, until the day I found myself sobbing over an episode of Gossip Girl. I'm still ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so excited for you to experience this amazing and crazy adventure! You are going to be an amazing Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad this is finally happening for you guys! I'm not sure why it's easy for some people and hard for others, it just doesn't seem fair.

    All I can think of is Eggos with Preggo on them and how somewhere out there, there is a pregnant women eating that and enjoying it. I, personally, will pass.

    I'm impressed that you're back into a good routine. I'm still on the carb train and nothing will derail us. As for the hormones, just wait. They'll get you at the weirdest moments. Me? It was during an Interac commercial before Rogue One. I laughed so hard I cried in the theatre.

    ReplyDelete