Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Life Lately #3

Reading: Alicia: My Story by Alicia Appleman-Jurman. It's a memoir by a Jewish woman who lived in Poland during WWII. I'm only 15% done with the book but I'm already absolutely captivated. Any memoir from that time period is pretty much guaranteed to suck me in so I'm not the best objective reviewer, but if you like books about Jewish heroes and heroines during the Holocaust you'll probably like this one.

Watching: The snow falling outside! If this keeps up we might have a white Christmas for the first time in years. The first one I can actually remember, in fact. My luck it'll turn to 40 degrees and rain on, like, December 23rd.

Listening to: The new Christmas album by the Pentatonix. And, as always, wishing I was in an acapella group because it just seems so darn fun.

Wearing: My winter uniform. Jeans, boots, sweater, scarf.

Smelling: Nothing at the moment, thank goodness. My coworkers cook some weeeeeeird shiz sometimes and my office is right next to the kitchen.

Eating: An everything bagel with cream cheese. I have been on the biggest bagel kick over the last month or two, and have eaten one almost every single day. Can't stop, won't stop.

Loving: Bagels.

Not Loving: That bagels are like 50 grams of carbs and that's almost half my carb macros for the day. Anyone have any recommendations for soy-free (allergic) low-carb bagels? Bueller?

Annoyed with: GIFT GUIDES. Oh em gee, every year the ridiculous gift guides. I need some gift ideas for Isaiah for Christmas but every gift guide for men is the most stereotypical thing I've ever seen. And can we all just agree that a $120 bottle of cologne is not a "stocking stuffer"??



Creating: My annual Christmas project! If you're new-ish around here, you might not know that when I was a regular blogger in years past, every December I would put together some kind of DIY Christmas craft project, list the supplies and instructions, etc. That post should be up in the next two weeks or so.

Wanting: All jobs to have winter break/summer break like teaching jobs do. Granted, I get a lot more PTO than teachers (my sister gets two days, I get two weeks) so I can take my time off whenever, but it's certainly not 3 months at a time! My sister is using her 2017 summer break to go to China for six weeks with a friend. CHINA. FOR SIX WEEKS. I haven't had a straight six weeks off work since I was fourteen; in other words, since before I got my first job. In case you're counting, that's almost twenty years ago.

Laughing at: This cartoon that my brother-in-law sent Isaiah yesterday. Because it's SO TRUE. My sister's cat is exactly like this with me.



Feeling: Annoyed with Facebook, as usual. You leave one "please help me with this tech issue" on an app company's Facebook page and next thing you know people are asking you about it and you had no idea your comment was even public. Just when you think everything is private...nope. As I've said a bajillion times before, if it wasn't the only way to communicate with family members who don't believe in e-mailing vs. Facebook messaging, I'd be out.

Hoping: That all my Christmas shopping will be done in time. Getting ideas from my mom and sister is like pulling teeth. I think next year I will suggest that we give them both money and they give us an equal amount of money and we call it good.

Wishing: That I was a better blogger. I was telling this to a friend today...that I think I'm more in love with the idea of blogging than I am blogging itself. I'm naturally a pretty private person - I prefer to email or text with a few close friends rather than share everything about my life with the internet. It makes it hard to think of things to write about.

Anticipating: Christmas. Really, December is stressing me out quite a bit this year and I'm ready for it to just be Christmas day so all the stress can be behind me.

7 comments:

  1. I am so stressed out about getting gifts in the mail. I haven't even bought all the gifts yet. I don't know how this will work.
    I like blogging more than I like the idea of blogging. So, opposites.
    Also, I don't really like bagels. I love toast though.
    I have a coworker who makes fish in the microwave about once a week. Like, WHYYYYY. And she's even said, "Oh yeah, that smells". WHYYY. There are about 8,456 other things you could possibly/probably bring for lunch..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of your potential for a white Christmas! I wish that was the case for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's time to rent a snow machine for your backyard! ;)

      Delete
  3. Six weeks in China sounds amazing...I've wanted to go back to China pretty much since I left. The school where Angel works is year-round and therefore break-less, but they're pretty okay with giving time off...I imagine that's because they don't offer any PTO at all, just, okay, if you don't work today you don't get paid. It has its pros and cons. Bagels are awesome, they don't sell them in grocery stores here but I heard a rumor there's a restaurant that serves them and I'm going to have to investigate that rumor.
    I don't think any 'gift guides' for categories of people work all that well. I'm really excited about Angel's presents this year: a backpack (he's been using my college backpack as his work bag since we moved here and it's in embarrassing condition at this point though he swears it still has life left), cologne (thankfully not the $120 kind, yikes!), and a rubik's cube since he broke his old one a while back! What every 30-something husband needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds amazing! I'm so jealous of your snow. We have a chance next week, and I'm hoping and praying it actually pulls through, especially since the temps will be in the teens. That comic is PERFECT. Cats are the best/worst.

    I HATE GIFT GUIDES SO MUCH. Never once have I found them helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest thing about giving up dairy was giving up everything bagels with cream cheese. And cream in my coffee. And sour cream glaze doughnuts. Okay, there were a lot of hard things, but I really miss everything bagels with cream. I'm having Tim Hortons-inspired food fantasies now. Please tell me you went when you were in Vancouver. I don't know what a macro is and I don't think I want to. But it makes you sound really smart.

    My son is like that cat. Cuddle me but FROM A DISTANCE, WOMAN.

    Gift guides are the biggest waste of time. I've only ever seen a couple I like, and they're from practical people that don't like spending money and accumulating junk. So like the anti-gift guide. One year we donated in everyone's name to help build toilets. Merry Christmas, you hard to buy for people. I don't give a crap what you wanted.

    Christmas has been getting me a little stressed. I recommend some time basking in the Christmas tree and eating chocolate. I'm sure there's just the right of macros in that (did I do it right?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your Christmas project! I'll add it to my lengthy list of Christmas crafts that won't be done by December 25th.

    I'm adding that book to my list asap. It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete