So this is what's happening today.
Oh, and happy St. Patrick's Day. The day everyone pretends they're Irish and know who St. Patrick was.
1. What are your nicknames? What you do like to be called? As my blog title suggests, it's just Angi. My name is kind of a nickname by itself, since my parents didn't like the name Angela, but sometimes people call me Ang, and Isaiah calls me Ann on occasion. You can call me whatever you like, just don't call me Shirley.
2. What books are on your shelf begging to be read? War and Peace. No, not really, though we did find an old beat up copy at the thrift store a couple of years ago and snagged it because it looks good on our bookshelf. Truthfully, one of these days I need to read a Jane Austen book. Cue the collective gasps.
3. How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like? I don't doodle a whole lot, but when I do, it's usually typography type stuff. I used to doodle various fonts a LOT in high school and college, and I have sloppily recreated one of my favorites for you here. Pretend it's done with multi-colored glitter pens.
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and turn? Try to get up and do something productive? Dude, if I tried to get up and do something productive in the midst of a bout of insomnia, I'd never get back to sleep. Usually I just lay there, grumpy about how tired I'm going to be the next day, until I finally fall back asleep.
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it? Well, I spend 90% of my time alone at home as is (cop wife problems) so probably quite a while. I don't want to commit to a number, though.
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away? I usually save most of them for a while and then toss them. I try not to be a hoarder.
7. What is your dream career? A baker. If only it paid better and had better hours. I was *thisclose* to taking a baking job at a local cafe last fall, but the hours would have conflicted so badly with my husband's job that it would have been a miracle if we had two hours a week to spend together. In short, quality time is one of my top two love languages, so I passed on the job.
8. When making an entrance into a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost? Ha, fools, you assume I go to parties in the first place and worse, that I attend them alone.
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be? Good question. I personally don't think I'm terribly funny, I have an average sense of direction, and I refuse to answer this the obvious way (sight/smell/etc).
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror? These days, I'm torn between every 5 minutes and never. Never, because I don't even recognize my own thighs anymore and it's enough of a reminder trying to pull my jeans up every morning. Every 5 minutes, because I still can't believe the size of the basketball under my shirt.
11. What’s the strangest thing you believed as a child? I don't remember believing anything particularly weird or strange. I was quite the realist as a child (still am, who am I kidding) and my friends hated me because I thought they were stupid for believing in Santa/the Easter bunny/the Tooth Fairy.
12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? Black licorice. Always and forever, amen.
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know? I'm not sure, honestly.
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections? I don't get an actual paper, but I read the news online every single day. Usually it's a mix of politics, local news and weird news.
15. Which animals scare you the most? Why? BEARS. Because coastal brown bears are some of the biggest in the country, second only to polar bears, and in the town where I live, they've been conditioned by irresponsible idiots to eat garbage. That means every single summer, we have to carry guns when we hike and stop/look/listen before walking to our cars in the morning. Did you know it was an Alaskan hunter who took the world record for biggest brown bear ever killed? NINE FEET. That's how tall that bear was.
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on? I think this totally depends on the situation and the person with whom I am conflicting.
17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savored? Isaiah always tells me I'm "good at everything" but I don't necessarily think that's true, though it makes me feel good when he says it. There are plenty of things I'm not good at. Making pie crust from scratch, for example. Or drawing realistic looking things.
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will? My eyesight. I have rotten eyesight which I pray I do not pass onto my child(ren). Isaiah has great eyesight, so it's 50-50 there. Someday I WILL get Lasik surgery. I will. Now who wants to lend me about 5 grand?
19. Are you a creature of habit? Yes and no. There are some things I have to keep as a habit or I won't do them. But most of the time, I get bored and change things up.
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain. Eh, I don't think so, but that'd probably be a better question for the guy that has to live with me.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? July 2016, when we hiked the Laugavegur trail in Iceland. Between hiking 34 miles in 3 1/2 days, carrying a 30lb backpack the whole way and sleeping on the ground, it was one of the hardest and greatest experiences of my life. But I have to give birth to an actual child this summer, so we'll see which experience wins out as the hardest when all is said and done.
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why? I kind of have both. Living in a small island town and being married to a guy who has been here for 20+ years means I "know" a lot of people. But I don't have any actual friends here - I have a few good friends in other cities who I keep in touch with via e-mails and texting, and that's okay - though not ideal - for now.
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others? Uh, neither?
24. What’s a strange occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone? Strange things don't really happen to me, especially not strange things I refuse to talk about.
25. What do you think about more than anything else? Currently, it's a toss up between how many days are left until I get some time off with my husband and how many hours are left before I can go back to bed.
26. What’s something that amazes you? How perfectly a woman's body is designed to grow and house a live baby until that baby is ready to survive in the outside world.
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? How about a nice combination of shooting straight in a tactful manner?
28. Where’s your favorite place to take an out of town guest? I don't ever have out of town guests, but if I did, and they were into hiking, I'd take them to the top of a mountain.
29. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Cut my hair.
30. Do you have a catchphrase? No, do people actually have those and do people actually think they're funny after they're said once or twice?
31. What is one of your most cherished memories? Getting married, honeymooning in Hawaii, and backpacking in Iceland.
32. How and where do you prefer to study? Never and nowhere.
33. What position do you sleep in? I used to sleep on my side but kinda tilted forward onto my stomach, but now that I have a basketball in the way, just on my side. And...
34. What’s your all-time favorite town or city? Seattle. Bet you couldn't guess that one.
35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new? Kindness, able to hold a conversation, and a shared love of The Office.
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you? I don't really think it has, honestly, and I don't know how much stock I put in that birth order theory anyway. Most people seem to think that having siblings makes you codependent and unable to do anything alone, or that being an only child makes you super independent and/or antisocial. I have one younger sister with a completely (and I mean completely) opposite personality of my own, so we weren't that close growing up and don't even talk all that much as adults. I'm introverted and independent, thank you!
37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be? My shyness. It's a huge hindrance in a lot of areas. Also, my lack of upper body strength. I just want to be able to do pull ups!!
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be? The one with my dad, but a) that's impossible now due to his Alzheimers and b) there were plenty of chances for that to happen in the past and one of us was never really fully interested, so there's that. I'm fine, really!
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? Eh, I wouldn't. I've never really wished my name was anything else, though I have always wished people would spell it correctly. It bothers me less as an adult, though.
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not? It depends, as usual. Sometimes, sure, but I don't want to be ignorant of a bear in my driveway and walk around my car and boom, there's 800 pounds of teeth and claws. That would not be a blissful experience.
41. What do you consider unforgivable? Eating the last piece of cake without asking if I want some.
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Sure. I don't like to dwell on things that can't be changed.
43. How difficult is it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize? I feel like "it depends" could be the answer to the majority of these questions. It depends how close I am to that person, it depends on what they did in the first place, and it depends how much what they did affects me going forward.
44. Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for? I'm a Christian, so yes.
45. What three fictional characters best represent you? I have thought and thought and thought about this question and I just flat out have no idea. I have definite April Ludgate tendencies, though.
46. In what area of your life are you immature? I'm so immature I refuse to admit I'm immature.
47. What was the best news you ever received? That we're having a baby! I broke that news to myself via a pregnancy test though, does it still count?
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular? Honestly (ha ha), it's not that hard. I don't really care too much about being unpopular. However, with friends/family, I do tend to withhold a lot of my opinions until I'm either asked or in the middle of an appropriate conversation about said opinion. If I am asked, though...well, you asked.
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? I have a couple of blog friends that I immediately clicked with, does that count? In person, probably my husband.
50. When do you find yourself singing? When you least expect it.