Wednesday, May 24, 2017

8 months down, 1 to go.

+ I have started losing things. I thought that pregnancy brain meant you just get a little forgetful, but no. Last week I somehow lost the remote to our tv's sound bar. I was folding baby clothes on the couch, placed each item one at a time into a dresser drawer sitting in front of me on the ottoman, carried each drawer into the bedroom one at a time to put them back in the dresser, and when I sat back down on the couch, the remote was missing. I have scoured the house looking for that stupid thing, and it is nowhere to be found. Isaiah even helped me move the couch and search in between every single couch cushion, under the rug, inside every. single. item. of baby clothing I folded, and it is gone. And if we don't want to get up from the couch every time we need to adjust the volume like total peasants, I'm now forced to spend fifteen bucks on a new remote.

Then, this morning, I drove to work, parked, and went to pick up the car keys from the cup holder where I always put them and they were gone. We have a push button start in our Jeep and it won't work without the keys physically inside the car, so I re-started the car and it worked, which told me the keys were still somewhere inside the vehicle. I searched my purse, my lunch bag, underneath the seats, in the BACK of the car just in case, and nothing. It took me a solid five minutes before I finally found them wedged in between the passenger seat and the center console. And let me tell you, searching small places inside a car is suddenly one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do, thanks to my almost-9 month pregnant stomach.

You have to understand, I do not lose things. I just don't. I have a fairly photographic memory and I can almost always picture where I last set something down, but I told Isaiah I can no longer be trusted with anything smaller than our cat because it is almost guaranteed to disappear.

+ My emotions have suddenly kicked into high gear. I have been 100% fine this entire pregnancy as far as hormone-induced emotions are concerned, but I cried actual tears this last weekend because my husband made plans for us to go over to our friends' house for dinner on Monday night. I've just been so exhausted and brain dead after work every day that I absolutely could not fathom having to go spend an entire evening engaging in intelligent conversation and witty banter. And I like these people! A lot! It took me several minutes of deep breathing and a good hour of searching Pinterest for a dessert to make/take to their house before I finally calmed down.

Every little thing has started irritating me. Thankfully it hasn't really (to my recollection) bled over into my marital relationship but at work? Oh mylanta. Every day there's someone I want to punch, and it's over relatively silly things. I'm probably just dealing with short-timer's syndrome since I have two and a half weeks left, but if I get asked the same questions from the same people one more time, or if that one coworker doesn't quit making such a racket every time he walks into the break room/kitchen next to my office, or if that other coworker doesn't quit busting loudly into my office without even pausing or knocking to tell me she's taking a 15 minute break and can I please answer the reception line while she's gone, I'm going to freaking lose my mind.

Oh, and if one more person tells me how much my life is going to change once the baby gets here...look, I can handle a lot of things. I'm the kind of person that leans toward giving people the benefit of the doubt with their words and I choose not to get offended by the silly things people sometimes say. But dude...I'm 33 years old, I've been married for over 7 years, we're financially stable, we own a house, we planned this. The next person that says "Get ready for a big change!" is going to hear me say very sarcastically, "Oh...really?! Crap, had no idea. Is it too late to change my mind? Well, there's always adoption if this doesn't work out."

+ I never fully understood this meme before...

Image result for pregnancy length meme

...but now I do, and it's so true. Up until recently, it didn't feel like that long ago that I was staring in disbelief at a positive pregnancy test. Now, I swear it's been at least five years. I don't necessarily want the baby to come soon because it's better for her health if she doesn't, but...I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if she wanted to come at 39 instead of 40 weeks. I'm my mother's firstborn and I was born on my actual due date (punctuality is my middle name), so I don't really think I'm hoping for too much.

9 comments:

  1. WTF are people thinking? It's not as if you got knocked up in high school. I can't believe some of the stupid things I hear people say to expecting couples. For example, those who inform late-trimester women that the baby will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just don't understand how much your life is about to change. Get ready!
    Ha ha ha ha
    I was 2 weeks late when I was born...so...
    I only lose things when I'm very stressed so that's always a sign that's something is up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pregnancy brain is so real. I'm the same way, photographic memory and all, but I forgot/lost everything. It freaked me out. One day at work, I saved an important legal document right before sending it to court, and I saved it as "Maternity Photos." I have literally no idea why because we never got those done and I didn't have them on the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might just shoot up a little prayer for you that baby decides to grow fast and come healthy and a wee bit early. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are seriously ridiculous. If only people would think before they open their mouths. It would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's probably just another case of not really knowing what to say, but it still makes me wonder if they think I'm a giant idiot, haha.

      Delete
  6. I bet some of your work frustration is totally due to the fact that you're leaving soon. I'm going back to work, but I have still almost totally checked out myself and it's so hard to have motivation when I'm like SUMMER BREAK PLEASE AND THANK YOU. This must be how teachers feel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already struggle with most of these things not pregnant. Can't wait to experience them ten fold one day 😬

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baby brain is so real. I was patting myself on the back because it hasn't been so bad this time and then I made an entire pot of coffee without the pot. Good thing I went to take a shower while it brewed. When I was pregnant I would always check the fridge and microwave for anything I'd lost because I really couldn't trust myself.

    I have a friend whose co-worker phoned her to ask work questions within hours of her having given birth. My recommendation is to ignore all works calls the moment you quit.

    ReplyDelete