Thursday, October 13, 2016

Stuff and Things: The Fourth One [Annoyances & Things I Don't Understand]


Sometimes you just gotta get these things off your chest, you know?

Three-quarter length sleeves. When are these actually useful? If it's cold out, I want long sleeves. If it's hot out (ha ha like never), I want short sleeves. This in-between stuff is nonsense. That said...I almost always roll my flannel shirt sleeves to right below or above my elbows, but I still have the option of long sleeves that way.

People who call and leave voicemails but give zero info. If a voicemail consists of nothing but "Hello, please call me back at 907-xxx-xxxx. Thanks." I'm definitely deleting that shiz. This happens to me at work pretty consistently and I have yet to call someone back if I have no idea what their name is or what they want. Last week I actually had a voicemail that said, and I quote, "Please return my call. Thank you." Hard nope.

Unnecessary cursing. Now, I'm no stranger to a good old fashioned curse word now and again, but I do my best to keep it at a minimum (you try not letting one slip when you grab a stainless steel pot from a 400 degree oven without an oven mitt). What I can't stand are completely random curse words thrown into blog posts/titles, conversations, e-mails, texts, etc. for no good reason other than to...what? Sound cool? Fail. When the title of a blog post is "Books You Need to Read Right This F***ing Minute," I probably won't read any of those books or your blog post either.

Drivers who slow to a crawl before finally flipping on their turn signal while turning. Those people do realize that a turn signal is there to alert other drivers well in advance before the turn actually happens, right? A turn signal is not an "I'm turning rightthissecond" signal.

Pet/baby Instagrams. Just...why? Who are these people who subscribe to a photo feed of nothing but a stranger's dog/cat/child? Before the birth of social media, people would have considered that stalking.

Shipping companies. Not shipping companies in general, but when I submit a quote request for trucking a vehicle cross-country on one website and then somehow end up with 50 e-mails and 20 phone calls and several text messages from a bunch of OTHER companies and now I have to spend half my day unsubscribing from a bunch of e-mail lists I didn't sign up for and avoiding phone calls from Bob and Carlos and Frank and Eddie and Brian and Luis.

The misuse/overuse of the term "bucket list." A bucket list is a list of things you haven't done, but would like to do before you die. Example: "Summiting Mount Rainier is on my bucket list." Therefore, can we stop calling every single list a bucket list? All these "fall bucket lists" I'm seeing floating around...I mean, if carving a pumpkin or buying a plaid blanket scarf is something you've never done but really would like to accomplish if you think you might die before Christmas, then more power to you, but otherwise can we just stop?

Websites that suggest things but don't provide links. I was reading an article today about alternative websites for Etsy sellers to list their products. Not one of the five websites the author listed was linked, which means if I'm interested in any of them, I have to Google to find their website. Yeah, it only takes an extra 30 seconds, but it's annoying. Bloggers do this also. "I bought this super cute and totally affordable new jacket, you should buy it too!" And then they don't give you the link to go look at it, which means I have to go to the store website and try and search for it myself, which is completely irritating and half the time I can't find what they're recommending.

Twitter accounts with nothing but Instagram links. I mean...what's the point? If I want to see someone's photos, I'll follow them on Instagram. I ran across a Twitter account yesterday that was literally (and I use that term literally) nothing but Instagram links. Why!? I feel the same way about Pinterest links automatically posted to Facebook. I mean if you WANT me to unfollow you, then by all means...


What's annoying you lately? Show me I'm not alone with my cranky old lady opinions! And while you're at it, get off my lawn and turn down your music.


Linking up with Kristin and Joey for Stuff & Things

14 comments:

  1. Haha! Not cranky old lady opinions...they are spot on. Especially the turn signal thing. That right there is a pet peeve of mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely with you on the voicemail thing. If I don't recognize a number, I'm not going to answer. And if you don't leave me a message telling me who you are and why you are calling me, I'm certainly not going to bother calling you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loathe voicemails! I never listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do if I've been waiting for a call. Otherwise..........

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh because my "stuff & things" link title says "swear words included". And, I like 3/4 length sleeves, but I have no sensible answer for why I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too funny because I was wearing 3/4 sleeves yesterday and my forearms were SO COLD. I was like, this was a terrible decision. But one of my favorite fall shirts has 3/4 sleeves so I can't really say much. I actually have a bad habit of flipping my turn signal on while turning from the turn lane. Jordan is always like, what is the point of this???? I don't know. But at least I don't slow to a crawl, yes? Because I can't handle people who basically stop to turn, especially if it's a wide entrance they are turning into. WHY DO YOU SLOW DOWN SO MUCH. This above anything else will make me want to honk at people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these!! The unnecessary cursing is something I was ranting about the other day to James. I mean, I do like a well-placed swear word, but it just makes me want to throw a dictionary at people who drop the F bomb every other word.

    Pet and baby instagram accounts are so weird to me. WHY. I mean, I can SORT OF see the point of a baby one since they grow and change (though I still find it creepy and I would NEVER do it), but pets??? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on the three quarter sleeve thing. What is the point?! I hate unnecessary cursing too. I don't get the point and I'm the same way, if it's in a blog post, I'm out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The turn single. I CANNOT. Why even use it at that point?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, the lack of turn signals! I made a "17 things before 2017" list, but it's more of a "to-do" list/organizational tool than a "bucket list". I dislike hearing "bucket list" for every little thing. I quit Twitter because it's about 80% links to Instagram or blog posts these days. Which is annoying because I used to appreciate the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turn signals are life-saving. Why won't people use them? Traffic here is so bad and the countless times someone will cut right in front of you without even signaling first...are you trying to cause an accident?
    Also not a fan of 3/4 sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't have a fall bucket list? I'm appalled. How else will you know that you've October-ed correctly?

    My turn signal goes off on its own. If I tap it lightly to switch lanes, it blinks 4 times and that's it. This is very helpful and I miss it when I'm driving our truck instead of my SUV.

    Also, I swear a lot...I know how to reign it in, but Scott swears like a sailor...it's just part of his vernacular, so I think I picked it up from him. I don't put it onto the internet though because I'd prefer it stays between me and who ever I'm talking to.

    ReplyDelete