Saturday, June 24, 2017

I wish due dates were concrete just like our new countertops.

Happy due date to me! Well, I guess happy due date to this baby girl is more accurate, and if she wants to make it her birthday too, that would be fine.

No impending labor signs yet that I'm aware of, other than occasional Braxton Hicks which are nothing new - I've been feeling those off and on for like two months now. I haven't been checked by the doctor yet, so I don't know if/how much I've dilated. So far it hasn't mattered - babies come when they come and I trust my body will know when it's time - but if I make it to my appointment next week we'll definitely need to make sure things are moving along. I was informed last week that they "don't like" to let moms go past 41 weeks, which I think is a little silly if everyone's healthy (and wealthy and wise, as my mother would say), so I'll be asking for 42 weeks at least. I really don't think I'll still be pregnant then, so I feel like it's a bit of a moot point.

We did decide that last weekend was the perfect time to rip apart our kitchen in order to redo our countertops and backsplash and I was semi-hoping that would jump start labor, being on my feet all day every day but no dice. I've been wanting concrete countertops for ages, so for my birthday, Isaiah surprised me with all the supplies to cover up our ugly, pale yellow laminate counters with a concrete overlay.

It actually worked really well, and they're 95% finished and will be 100% finished this weekend (assuming this baby doesn't interrupt the plan). They're technically done, but we wanted to go the extra step of adding a wax layer on top of the sealant to make them extra stain and scratch-proof. I've been using them the last few days without the wax layer, though, and they've been great!

You probably saw these pictures already if you follow me on Instagram, but here's the before (ew), during, and a couple of after photos - one with the counters still empty and one with everything put back. Not bad for only a 4-day project, if I do say so myself!

Ew. Just ew.


Mid-concrete application. We used 3 thin layers of Ardex Feather Finish. Messy, yes, but fairly easy.

New wooden backsplash and finished countertops! We sealed them with Cheng's Concrete Sealer and followed a YouTube tutorial we found online (since the reviews mostly said the instructions on the bottle were outdated and didn't work properly).

So fresh, so clean clean. And a furry photobomber. And a big plastic tote I forgot to take out of the sink post-wash and pre-photo. Can't win 'em all.


Remember when I said I was hoping to make a bunch of freezer meals for under $150 for after the baby's born and neither of us want to cook? The grand total of my shopping trip, not including the cost of the ingredients I had on hand at home already or the things I'll need to go with the meals, came to $160. I was pretty proud of myself. I bought enough to make five freezer meals and a bunch of pre-portioned smoothie packs, and I figure each meal will feed us at least twice, with possibly a bit left over. Add to the cost the extra side dishes (rice, quinoa) and necessary serving vessels (tortillas, for chicken tacos) and I bet it'll all come in at right around $200 total. I still think that's pretty outrageous and anywhere but Sitka I could do all that for a lot less, but $200 for 10-15 meals around here is about as good as it gets, especially when there's any kind of meat involved. So I'm satisfied.

I do have to say, one thing I am getting tired of being asked is what we're naming the baby. For some reason, even though we have had months to get used to the question, I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to answer that doesn't come across as super awkward.  I guess part of me finds it odd that strangers legitimately expect us to tell them the name we've chosen, and part of me feels awkward telling them we're not telling them. "Uh...well...we do have one but aren't really telling anyone until she's born..." Unfortunately my bumbling response isn't usually met with a happy, understanding face. It's usually met with a blank stare and an "Oh, okay..." And then I feel like I have to have a darn good reason, like we still can't decide between a few names (not true) or we want to make sure the name fits her looks before we finalize it (also not true).

At least we're running extremely short on the amount of time we still have to feel awkward about this situation. I hope.

10 comments:

  1. Happy due date! I hope she comes SOON. I keep logging on to IG and hoping I see the newborn pic.
    I love your new countertops. Your kitchen looks really good :)
    Great job on all of those meal preps. You are going to be so happy that you did. I'll have to remember to do something like that when my time comes.
    I think I'm going to be the opposite with names just because I will have this overwhelming desire to stake my claim to it lol
    Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy due date!

    I love concrete countertops and yours look so good!! I felt the exact same way about people wanting to know Gracie's name. I had the same responses but it annoyed me that people I don't know well or at all expected me to tell them when my grandparents didn't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As somebody who has spent each one of her four due dates fully pregnant, I know how you are feeling right now. When I had my first, they said "we induce at 10 days over." I had it in mind that I really super did NOT want to be induced, but when that call came on day 9 to come the next day, I was so relieved!
    We also kept our names secret. I don't know why people expect you to tell when not many people do before the baby comes. Or maybe that a geographical thing? I did actually tell a couple people who asked. Just ransoms at the park and such, who I would never see again.
    I love the countertops! Earlier this year we got new ones. It's laminate, but looks like light-coloured concrete. Good for you for doing the work for the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preparing smoothies is brilliant! Even though they aren't hard to make, I always found that I'd get distracted and just eat something easier that I had made beforehand. Like cake or a muffin.

    I love your concrete countertops so much. I'm half tempted to do that to our ugly bathrooms.

    That's so funny. Most people I met were understanding when I said we had a name we just weren't sharing. Except my mom, she took it as a personal insult but we ended using the name she suggested anyway. (We had it picked out long before she suggested it.) You should just tell them you're naming her Kevin.

    Looking at when you posted this please tell me it was scheduled and that you weren't suffering from the pregnancy curse of insomnia.

    I will officially be checking my phone every half hour from now until Kevin shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both times I found it super awkward when people asked what we were naming the baby and usually I just lied and said we were still deciding because I didn't want to have to deal with the awkward confusion when they realized I actually wasn't going to tell them. I have no idea why people ask this question. It's obnoxious. For both kids we told our parents and siblings only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy due date! I hope that whenever she is ready to make her appearance things go smoothly!

    Your countertops look wonderful!

    We kept Jackson's name a secret too and people would NOT let it go. At first it was like a fun game telling everyone "You'll find out when he's born!", but it got old realllllly fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hopefully she comes out sooner rather than later!

    And I would keep the name a secret too. I don't think there's any harm in that. People are less likely to give their judgement after the name is already assigned to a baby.

    And at least you're keeping busy by fixing up the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is hoping that sweet baby makes her appearance sooner rather than later. :) My doctor didn't want me going beyond 41 weeks so I was scheduled to be induced but low and behold my water broke the day before haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I do NOT want to know what it's like to be 42 weeks pregnant but I'm going to push for that if there's no medical reason to induce sooner. Hopefully it just won't even be an issue! ;)

      Delete
  9. Hope that baby arrives soon!! :) In the meantime, your counters are looking gorgeous! We are going to start remodeling our kitchen in September and the counters are our biggest holdup. We have a lot of counter space and granite/quartz are so pricey. We are looking into concrete too, I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete