Thursday, November 10, 2016

New seasons, new cars, new presidents

WELL. It's been a while, hasn't it? Let's recap the last few weeks.

October ended. I am okay with this - October is not my favorite month. We don't have pumpkin patches or apple orchards or Starbucks PSLs (which are gross anyway) and I've been wearing cardigans and flannels since August but it was dry enough to take a few crisp autumn walks and the leaves did actually change and stick around for more than .294 seconds this year, so that's fun.



Halloween happened. I honestly couldn't care less about Halloween - it's not a holiday we celebrate, I can buy candy any time I darn well please (because I'm an ADULT) and I believe people should put their babies in costumes at least once a week all year long, so Halloween is a non-event for me. That said, I do find it slightly amusing that the two people at my job who actually dress up are the kind of people who I suspect would wear their respective costumes every day of the year if it was socially acceptable (one is an actual Wiccan who always dresses like a witch, the other is a very...interesting...girl who has a Halloween mask stapled to her backpack 24/7 and wore a red wig with ram horns and a trench coat). I tried to get photographic evidence but the office I've lived in at work for the last year doesn't provide great photo-taking opportunities. I did manage to get a kinda lame shot of Ram Horn Girl walking down the back alleyway past my window, though.




We bought a new car. Neither of us have ever owned a vehicle newer than 2004, and while we've been perfectly satisfied with older, less expensive vehicles - Isaiah's Ford F150 is also a 2004 - my Jeep Liberty had about 215k miles on it and was starting to need repairs about every other month. As older vehicles do. So, it was time to retire it and buy something newer, with low miles, that is also kid-friendly so sometime in the next few years we're set and not needing another new vehicle that will fit car seats. We looked around, test drove a few different crossover SUVs when we were in Anchorage, and finally settled on a new/used 2015 Jeep Cherokee with only 12k miles on it. I guess we're one of those "Jeep families" now. I originally thought the new Cherokees were fuuuuugly but they've really grown on me, plus they are crazy comfortable. I think my favorite thing about it is the remote start...partially because it's nice to let your car defrost for 15-20 minutes before you actually have to leave, and partially because I feel safer walking to my car with it already running when there are bears potentially in the area (the noise and all).




The election happened. I am absolutely beyond thrilled that Hillary Clinton lost. She 110% deserves the defeat. I am also extremely disappointed that Donald Trump was the one to beat her, but hey. I didn't vote for either of them. As I said to a friend earlier today, if he is the second coming of Ronald Reagan I will be ecstatic and so happy to be proven wrong about who I believe he is (and is not). If he is the next Putin, my hands are clean.

Did I mention I'm SO HAPPY Clinton lost? And no, I'm not turning off comments on this post because I am secure in my beliefs and opinions and if you disagree and think she was the next Jesus, that's fine. You're wrong, but that's fine.

Daylight savings also happened. Can we just all agree that it needs to be a thing of the past? Like...yay, I get to drive to work in semi-daylight for another few weeks (until sunrise starts not happening until 9am again), but it's also almost dark when I get off work now and I get off at three thirty in the afternoon. I'm looking out the window right now and the sun is already going down and it's TWO O'CLOCK. I'm pretty sure that's not actually helping any farmers anywhere.

I think that's about it for current events in my world. Less than two weeks and I'll be on a plane to see my dear mother and sister, and I am beside myself with excitement. As I mentioned in my last post (if you can remember that far back), my mom has no idea that I'm coming and I cannot wait to surprise her. My sister and I are already planning a Thanksgiving menu and I'm in charge of the decor (yessssss) and Ijustcannotwaitohmygoodness.

When I get back, it'll be almost December and we all know what that means (ho ho ho!!). 

I'm terrible at ending blog posts in a creative way so I'll just leave you with this gem:


8 comments:

  1. We've been looking into the new Jeeps too. It took about a year for me to not hate the look. My neighbor has one and we were looking at the diesel variety because Jeeps use a ton of gas.
    New cars are exciting!

    You're right: it's not about Trump winning, it's about Hillary not winning. That was my only stake in it. And I thought of the Ronald Reagan thing last night actually...if *he* could do it, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice car! New cars are so fun. Our "newest" car is our 2007 Honda Odyssey - minivans for the win!

    Your Jeep looks so much cooler with those mountains behind it. I need to go to Alaska.

    Yeah, I didn't vote for either and I'm not happy it's Trump, but I think I'm okay with seeing what happens. People of Facebook however...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think October is now my least favorite month of all time. I'm glad you're getting to go visit your family for Thanksgiving! The new car is cool--when we moved to Malaysia we actually bought a brand new car (because here there's strangely benefits to buying a new car since used cars are comparatively expensive. Buying a local brand new car was about 1/3rd of the price of buying any 5-6 year old Japanese or other foreign. Malaysian made cars are obviously not the best but it was much more affordable)...after dealing with all of the 'adventures' our old cars in the states gave us it's kind of crazy that in a year and a half here we've done absolutely nothing with the new car except oil changes--life with a new car is weird. Hopefully it stays in great shape for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post JUST popped into my feed. What the heck. What in the world is that rams horn costume?? Also I love and agree with every political thing you said. "You're wrong, but that's fine." 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving your new car!!! Remote start is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it's so handy!

      Delete
  6. I love you for loving that HRC lost. We are trying to be optimistic that maybe it won't actually be that bad with T in office. We'll see. I love your new car! Congrats. And you are killing me with your stalker pictures of your coworkers. I love it. I'm so excited for you to surprise your mom! I love surprises. Yay! I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea how I missed this post, but I'm glad I found it. The gift rap just made my day.

    I love my remote start. Your Jeep reminds me of my mom mobile. Welcome to team awesome.

    "I believe people should put their babies in costumes at least once a week all year long." TRUTH. I'm not sure why I don't put Parker in more costumes. There is nothing cuter than a small child dressed up. I will have to remedy this.

    ReplyDelete